Thursday, August 13, 2009

THE TIMES, THEY ARE A CHANGIN'!!
+
Code of Student Conduct Replaced
by
More Student Friendly, Non-Punitive
"BEHAVIOR RESPONSE PLAN"
.
I'm a dean. I'm from the Old School. In fact my school is so old that I used to believe that when Johnny or Suzie stood up and said to the teacher, "F_ _ _ You! I don't have to put up with none a your s_ _ _!" they should be sent home. It might not change their attitude or the fact that they heard the same vulgarities from their parents' lips. It did say, "School is a place where you treat the staff with respect, or you don't stay in school." I am fortunate enough to work in a school where the principal agrees that students who cursed teachers were sent home. The Code of Student Conduct said that if you cursed the teacher, the act was grounds for suspension. It is not a perfect school. But it is, or I should say WAS a respectful school. You cursed the teacher, you went home.
. . .
Ah, me. But that was so old school. So punitive. So disrespectful of Johnny's right to express his feelings. We certainly don't want to disrespect Johnny's feelings, so we introduce (with soft music in the background) "The Behavior Response Plan" with four Tiers of Responses to Johnny's cursing, disrespect, disorderly conduct or assault. And now, ladies and gentlemen:
"Behaving in a rude, profane or vulgar, and/or impertinent manner toward school personnel" [Violation #108] is a Tier # One Behavior.
According to the new Behavior Response Plan, Johnny may receive:
  • A Warning,
  • A review of Community living skills,
  • A conference,
  • Modifications in his contract,
  • Counseling,
  • A Behavior-Support/Modification Plan - with consequences.

Johnny is NOT to be suspended. And what, pray tell, are the "consequences"? Lunch detention? Counseling? A conference? Or, maybe a. . . a. . .Oh, no. . .Don't say it. . .A warning!!!!!!!!

You want to give a 5 year old a warning? Go ahead. But when 16 year old Johnny tells Ms. Third Block Teacher, "F_ _ _ _ You! I don't have to put up with none a your S_ _ _!!" just what kinda warning ya think is going to change that behavior? Perhaps the old school warning, "If it happens again, you'll be suspended for 10 days instead of 5 days." It is amazing the impact that had on most offenders. I could count on one hand the ones who came back for 10 days.

It was strong statement to the other students. It did impact the classroom climate. But it's out with the Code, in with the Behavior Response Plan. Out with suspension and in with the conference, warning and review of the Life Skills. Somehow I'm not feeling real optimistic.

But I'm from the old school.

And the times they are a changin'!

(Guess I better go change my drawers.)

No comments:

Post a Comment